Meet Dr. Nicole Dinezza
From IBS Patient
I always felt that I was a healthy person. I was thought of as the team “health nut” in college due to my vegetarian diet, and my passion for rowing kept me in good physical shape. However, despite my otherwise good health I started experiencing chronic low back pain my sophomore year of college. Over the course of five years, I tried everything I could think of. Different forms of chiropractic, acupuncture, massage, yoga, and physical therapy didn’t touch my pain. My x-rays were clean- perfect even- and doctors and classmates implied that it wasn’t really that bad or it was all in my head.
Luckily, even early in my schooling, I was always my first patient. As I started learning about functional medicine I tried different detoxes, supplements, and diets. This led me to do my first elimination diet and eventually a food sensitivity test (Cyrex), which alerted me to several underlying food sensitivities and undiagnosed autoimmunity (“Surprise! It looks like you’re a Celiac!”). It was then that I learned that the cause of my pain wasn’t my back at all! When I cut out the foods I am sensitive to (namely, gluten) my pain went away completely. It is this experience that initially fueled my passion for functional medicine.
In graduate school I found myself dealing with a great deal of digestive upset. It seemed like everything I ate caused bloating, diarrhea, or both (so, I had IBS-D but didn’t realize it until years later). I was constantly “tinkering” with my diet and was on the hunt for “the food” that was making me sick. I lived off of leaky gut healing supplements and herbs for months at a time and was dismayed when my leaky gut symptoms kept coming back. After graduating, I finally got off of my keister, ponied up some money, and got proper testing done. It was at that time I learned that I had several types of dysbiosis (candida/fungi, bacteria, and a parasite!) and addressing that in addition to the leaky gut led to a full resolution of my symptoms. Looking back, I strongly suspect I had SIBO but I didn’t know to ask for a breath test at the time (SIBO wasn’t well known until a few years later). To hear more about my IBS/SIBO story in a Youtube video vlog, click here.
I fell in love with the field of functional medicine in grad school and haven’t looked back since. What started as an interest to help myself and my mom (thyroid autoimmunity (Hashimoto’s)) turned into a passion that is still going strong today.
I look forward to meeting you and helping you soon!
Going to Dr. DiNezza changed my life. I was skeptical about whether functional medicine could help me, but felt at ease with Dr. DiNezza, who is friendly, outgoing, a little goofy (in the BEST way), and extremely knowledgeable. I cannot rave enough about her and her practice!
– Gillian M
Areas of Clinical Focus
- All things gut (digestion, proper function, leaky gut syndrome, mucus)
- The human microbiota/microbiome
- Probiotic supplements
- Fiber and prebiotic foods and supplements
- Motility disorders/dysmotility
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- The immune system
- Inflammation and how it is generated
- Herbal medicine
Degrees and Certifications
- Bachelors of Science, Exercise Science University at Buffalo, 2009
- Doctorate, Chiropractic
Southern California University of Health Sciences, 2012
- Nutritional Therapy Practitioner
Nutritional Therapy Association, 2015
- Certification (pending completion)
Cogence Functional Immunology, 2019
- Functional Medicine Training
Numerous sources, always ongoing
Noteworthy Courses I've Taken or Attended
- Gut Microbiota for Health World Summit (2019)
- Environmental Health Symposium (2018, 2019)
- Stool Analysis Master Class with Jason Hawrelak
- Advanced Probiotic Prescribing with Jason Hawrelak
- The Human Microbiome and Dysbiosis in Clinical Practice with Alex Vasquez
- Cogence Immunology with Sam Yanuck
- GI Advanced Practice Module with the Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM)
- Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice (IFM)
- Functional Endocrinology with Datis Kharrazian
- Mastering the Thyroid with Datis Kharrazian
- Mastering Functional Blood Chemistry with Datis Kharrazian
- Mastering Brain Chemistry with Datis Kharrazian
- Vanguard Neurology with David Perlmutter
Triangle Holistic Gut Health
Do you still suffer from IBS even though you feel like you're doing everything right? This channel is dedicated to helping you find the root cause(s) of your IBS.
When I'm not in the office...
you will likely find me playing with my daughter and husband, attending seminars, cooking, crafting, writing, or sleeping. When I make the time I enjoy yoga, rowing, kayaking, biking and hiking. As a matter of fact, I own a single sculling shell and occasionally take it out on Jordan lake.
Make an Appointment
Take Charge of Your Health